Repeated segfaults in F17

Jack Craig jack.craig.aptos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:39:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 10/08/2012 05:55 AM, Temlakos wrote:
>
>> Several times in the past I have shut down this computer and literally
>> waited for it to cool off. It always seemed to work, at least nine times
>> out of ten. But I never really believed that things actually worked that
>> way. I shut it down overnight, and in the morning most of my problem
>> applications started working properly again.
>>

> Open the box up and use some compressed air to blow all of the dust out.
>  While you're at it, make sure that all of the air intakes are clear.

possibly related issue, I'd like to push deeper on overtemp behavior.

I live on The coast where temp is usually moderate, but last week
we got real close to triple digits.

my PC (asus MB, Intel CPU, < 2 yrs old) is running F16.

when i got home, my dmesg had a number of cpu overtemp msgs,
eg 74K event recorded, see hw logs.

i could hear the cpu fan behaving strangely, it would speed up, then fall
off and repeat.
it was like someone in a car, pushing the accelerate to the floor, letting
off and as soon as the engine(fan) slows down, it repeats.

I assumed, apparently in error, some damage was done to my MB, heat sensor,
other.

I prepare for a maintenance windows Sat am, i shutdown and booted to bios,
hoping to find a diagnostics menu to get a better diagnosis for the repair
folks.

i could not find any diagnostic option despite a monitor context where cpu
fan appeared ok.

i rebooted to Linux and she has been fine.

so now my query, does anyone know of the Linux kernel could have been
speeding up the fan or was it likely the MB driving that HW behaviour?

anyone got a clue about this; looking to be better prepared for next time,

tia, jackc...