why is a .txt file being run as a php script?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Oct 9 06:42:05 UTC 2012

On 10/08/2012 04:32 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I have just tried it turning off MultiViews in the
> directory where I have my copy of my web pages and
> by gosh, it does indeed just show me the file now
> instead of running the php script, so even though
> my poor brain can't figure out how the heck what the
> apache docs say about MultiViews could possibly
> cause this, it does indeed appear to be MultiViews
> that is causing it.

MultiViews isn't enabled anywhere except for /icons in the default
configuration, but the standard behavior is exactly as you originally
described.  You might want to verify that your browser isn't showing you
a cached version of the server's response.

I just checked one of the few systems where I run php, and I'm certain
that MultiViews does not cause the behavior that you described.