Fedora 17 install dualboot with Windows 7 Home Premium goes nowhere

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 02:32:14 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 07:10 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Friends,
>
> After years of providing services to students for free in installing
> Fedora, I hit a wall this afternoon and don't quite know how to get out
> of it.
>
> The offending laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 with Windows 7 Home Premium
> on it. We paritioned the HDD using Windows 7 creating a separate
> partition and went off to install Fedora on the new partition from a
> Live CD. Installation went off as a breeze, however, after reboot all
> hell broke loose.
>
> Grub did not show up, what is worse is that a broken Windows Error
> Recovery did with the Launch Startup Repair, etc. However, it asks for
> the original installation disc for Windows 7 which the retailer never
> provided.
>
> I tried using PW o fix the MBR as mentioned here:
> http://www.sevenforums.com/software/135486-how-do-i-repair-mbr-without-disk.html
>
> but no luck: it goes back to this screen.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I feel
> embarrassed and responsible for this student's fancy laptop now. He
> needs to have W7 to use the BluRay so we were thinking of a dual boot
> originally, but at this point, I am trying to salvage whatever.
>
> Ranjan

You need to contact HP and they will provide you
with the recovery windows DVD. I have run into a similar problem.
After fixing your windows, your Linux Grub will be
overwritten, and windows booter will be in place.

I suggest that you download and install the Fedora normal ISO:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-17-i386-DVD.iso
     < this is for 32bit
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-x86_64-DVD.iso
     < this is for 64bit