Fedora 17 install dualboot with Windows 7 Home Premium goes nowhere

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed Oct 10 12:59:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:52:20 -0400 Jim <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/09/2012 10:32 PM, JD wrote:
> >
> > On 10/09/2012 07:10 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> >> Friends,
> >>
> >> After years of providing services to students for free in installing
> >> Fedora, I hit a wall this afternoon and don't quite know how to get out
> >> of it.
> >>
> >> The offending laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 with Windows 7 Home Premium
> >> on it. We paritioned the HDD using Windows 7 creating a separate
> >> partition and went off to install Fedora on the new partition from a
> >> Live CD. Installation went off as a breeze, however, after reboot all
> >> hell broke loose.
> >>
> >> Grub did not show up, what is worse is that a broken Windows Error
> >> Recovery did with the Launch Startup Repair, etc. However, it asks for
> >> the original installation disc for Windows 7 which the retailer never
> >> provided.
> >>
> >> I tried using PW o fix the MBR as mentioned here:
> >> http://www.sevenforums.com/software/135486-how-do-i-repair-mbr-without-disk.html
> >>

> >> but no luck: it goes back to this screen.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I feel
> >> embarrassed and responsible for this student's fancy laptop now. He
> >> needs to have W7 to use the BluRay so we were thinking of a dual boot
> >> originally, but at this point, I am trying to salvage whatever.
> >>
> >> Ranjan
> >>

> > You need to contact HP and they will provide you
> > with the recovery windows DVD. I have run into a similar problem.
> > After fixing your windows, your Linux Grub will be
> > overwritten, and windows booter will be in place.
> >
> > I suggest that you download and install the Fedora normal ISO:
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-17-i386-DVD.iso
> >     < this is for 32bit
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-x86_64-DVD.iso
> >     < this is for 64bit
> >

> Use Gparted when resizing the Windows Partition and create two Linux
> ext4 partitions , /  40% and /home 60%  of unallocated space
>
> When installing Fedora 17 use the Customize method and then Edit the two
> new partitions . As  / and /home , format  /   and  /home as ext4.
>
> it also helps to have at least a  1024  swap partition.
>
> To get Gparted do a Google search of  " Gparted Download" or goto.
>
>   http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
> --

Hi,

Thanks very much! Btw, I am able to "see" the "Recovery Partition" from
a Linux LiveCD. Can I copy these files onto an external USB in the
usual way, but then how do I make a "Recovery disk" from this?

Sorry, this is more a Windoze question, I know, but I thought that this
might be something someone here might have some experience with.

Many thanks again to both JD and Jim!

Ranjan