keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Oct 11 01:43:02 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 09:05 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> PS2, wired.
>
> Given the fact that I was able to type once I selected New login on the "locked screen" dialog and, at the splash for which user to log in as, the keyboard works, I figured the keyboard was not the problem.

I see.....   It has been a long time since I've used a wired PS2 keyboard.   However, when I had a RHELv4 system with a wired PS2 keyboard I noticed that the keyboard would become non-responsive if it were unplugged/plugged.  The X server would lose connection to it and would not re-establish a connection until a logout (which restarts the X server).

Frankly, the first thing I would do is find another keyboard and see if that helps.  I may be unique in that I've got an old keyboard on the shelf for emergencies.  :-) :-)