Fedora 17 install dualboot with Windows 7 Home Premium goes nowhere

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Oct 11 15:16:48 UTC 2012

Thanks again!

Steps 1. and 2. have to be under fail-safe mode, or any terminal window?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:55:57 +0300 Daniel Landau <daniel.landau at iki.fi>
wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2012 16:01, "Ranjan Maitra" <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> > > 4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora
> >
> > I guess the X is for wherever the / partition is?
> >
> > > (4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)
> >
> > This Y is for the /boot partition?
> >

> Exactly so.
>
> > > 9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where
> > > you should put 2's)
> >
> > I do not understand this point. Where should I put the 2's?
> >

> I think on my Fedora 18 install the command to run was:
>
> $ grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> While on Ubuntu the corresponding command is:
>
> $ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Grub is such an important part of a system, that you don't simply go and
> update it for no reason. Grub version 2 is a somewhat complete rewrite and
> redesign (disclaimer: I'm not an expert on Grub), so the update has led to
> different names in different distros that have either allowed or not for
> both to be installed at the same time (user binaries, that is, only one
> actual bootloader at a time).

I see: I am running Fedora 17. So, I guess the first would work?

Thanks again!

Ranjan
--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional