Fedora 16 User Manager: can't edit Group Properties

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Oct 11 16:09:52 UTC 2012

Hi: My f16 installation has been successively upgraded from about f12.
My tv cards are recognised by the kernel, but ioctl problems have
interfered with the setting up of new cards while not affecting the use
of those already known.   A post I saw today claimed that apparently
similar problems in Ubuntu could be cured by re-adding a user somehow
lost from the video group.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/System_Administrators_Guide/s2-redhat-config-users-group-properties.html

My attempts to add a user with the User Manager fail.  I'm told the
video group already exists, try a new name.  I deleted and re-created
the (empty) video group and still could not add any users to it.  Now
the two User Manager windows cannot be closed; attempts to minimise them
just redraw them.   Any suggestions gratefully received.

John P