Fedora 17 install dualboot with Windows 7 Home Premium goes nowhere

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Oct 11 16:29:16 UTC 2012

Sorry, but all well up to step 10 but not after:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:02:37 +0300 Daniel Landau <daniel.landau at iki.fi>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Ranjan Maitra
> <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>
> If the install is otherwise fine except for the bootloader, you could
> boot from a live distro, chroot into the install and run "grub-install
> /dev/sda". The process in steps:
>
> 1. Boot in to live environment
> 2. Figure out in which partitions did you install Fedora (using
> gparted, fdisk, whatever you're comfortable with).
> All of the following as root, so "su" or "sudo -i" depending on your environment
> 3. mkdir /mnt/fedora
> 4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora
> (4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)
> 5 mount -t proc proc /mnt/fedora/proc
> 6. mount -o bind /dev /mnt/fedora/dev
> 7. mount -o bind /sys /mnt/fedora/sys
> 8. chroot /mnt/fedora /bin/bash
> 9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where
> you should put 2's)
> 10. grub-install /dev/sda

I try

% grub2-install /dev/sda.    (There is no grub-install)

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: this LDM has no Embedding
Partition; embedding won't be possible.

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not
possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using
blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
discouraged.

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks again!
Ranjan