OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Oct 15 13:52:16 UTC 2012

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>      On 03/10/12 19:54, Pasha R wrote:
>>>          Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?
>
> As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
> installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
> compatible?

You have hit on the reason, the magic word is "mostly," and unfortunately
compatibility is not quite perfect. I have been bitten by that in the last week,
so it's not subtle in some cases.

> Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO
> and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?

Bug avoidance, particularly in the import/export from other office software.
I'd love to see the code bases merge, but I don't expect to, OO seems to have
gone to a good home, don't expect it to go away soon.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>