why is a .txt file being run as a php script?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Oct 8 18:18:08 UTC 2012

Am 08.10.2012 20:12, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 10/08/2012 11:08 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Anyone have any clue what is causing this to happen?
>> I can't imagine this is something that would be desirable
>> behavior :-).
>
> What are the permissions on the file?

apache/php is not interesed at all in execute-flags

this is widely known and caused by the "MultiViews" option
and can also lead to execute PHP if images contain code
and saved with .php.gif

you can simply add php-code at the end of a image without
break image display - this is a know exploit vector for
uploaded images

Options -MultiViews