keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 15 22:15:29 UTC 2012

On 10/15/2012 2:51 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> I've had PS/2 keyboard problems in F17.  Two things to try:
>
> 1. Hold down a key and see if it starts auto-repeating.  In my case, the
>     first keypress is lost, but auto-repeat keypresses get through.
>
> 2. Ctrl-Alt-2 to a text terminal and see if the keyboard works outside
>     of X.  In my case, it did.
>
> If your keyboard problems act like mine, you have the same problem, and
> it's a bug in the X PS/2 keyboard driver.  Killing X resets it, and a
> USB keyboard seems to work fine.
DJ:

Many thanks for this reply.

Sitting on a key does nothing per earlier tests.

Your comment about the X PS/2 keyboard driver would fit with the earlier
advice I got. I've got a couple replies suggesting such.

Right now I am trying another keyboard (PS/2) to confirm that it is not
a hardware issue. I was planning on bringing up another box under F17,
but I've got to understand these replies regarding X server first.

Its taking me awhile to get back to this problem and I apologize to all
if it looks like I've dropped the ball on my end. Plumbing in bathroom
is taking priority ...

Paul