how to disable "unset HISTORY"

G.Wolfe Woodbury redwolfe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:57:36 UTC 2012

On 10/16/2012 11:50 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> You can turn on "BSD Process Accounting" (which is in the kernel for
>> Fedora) in the system profile.  This causes the kernel to dump a record
>> for each process spawned into the system logs.  You will want to install
>> and use a tool to analyze the logs and keep them to a reasonable size.
>
> BSD accounting is completely useless except for doing non-hostile
> statistical analysis of system resource usage. If you want to fool it you
> can do so trivially.
>
> Alan

That is true, but I'm under the impression that this is not a truly
*hostile* environment, but a small number of users being resistant to
having their activities casually monitored.  In this case, process
accounting is passive and quiet in that the system starts it at boot
time and it (tries) to catch everything done until turned off.

I may be mis-reading the intent of the request, but it seems similar to
a situation I have dealt with before, in that one user has a penchant to
overstep the intent of the account, and who is somewhat neurotic about
the "privacy" issue.  In a business or academic situation, using
semi-stealth methods for a time to check the situation seem appropriate.

It all depends on the specifics of the situation.  But it seems to me
that process accounting may offer some help to the OP.

--
G Wolfe Woodbury