How can I prevent udevd from renaming eth0 to em1

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Oct 18 01:18:43 UTC 2012

On 10/17/2012 06:24 PM, JD wrote:
> Briefly....
> $ ifconfig -a
> em1       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:...etc
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>
> virbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:...etc
>
> virbr0-nic Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:...etc
>
> wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:...etc

Ah, I see. On my systems, I get:

===
em1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether f0:de:f1:fc:65:b3  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
===

So the script says "grab any non-space character up to the colon (foo:).
Your now showing a colon, so it fails to match.

Try replacing:

===
	if ($line =~ /^(\S+):/)
===