html/css display on fedora is different than from other os ( windows, ...)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 21 12:35:40 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 11:34 +-0000, mike lan wrote:
+AD4 why is html/css display on fedora on firefox and google chrome alike
+AD4 is different than on other os ? some times the size of a font can
+AD4 break the display of a site which looks right on windows and not on
+AD4 fedora.
+AD4
+AD4 is there a way to work around this issue by tweaking some settings on
+AD4 firefox and google chrome ?

Every browser is slightly different in how it behaves, there will be
some differences, some more obvious than others.  The fonts installed by
default are different on different OSs, so you could be missing
something that the other is not.  The rendering engines are different on
different operating systems, and graphic cards (and their drivers), so
you can see differences in absolute font sizing, aspect (horizontal
versus vertical), slightly different resolutions, and clarity of the
text.

For a meaningful appraisal, you'd need to give some specific example
sites to look at.

A common issue has been, for many years, authors specifying certain
fonts at certain sizes.  For example, a large font like Verdana, to be
drawn at a smaller than normal size, so it looks similar in size to
other common fonts.  Then, when you view the page without Verdana on
your system, the text is annoyingly too small.

A similar issue occurs when people fudge around with their DPI settings
to scale the fonts on their desktop (instead of changing the size of the
fonts).  The rendering engine starts drawing fonts at different sizes
than expected, often without other graphical objects, or page
dimensions, scaling to the same degree.  You can end up with big fonts
inside little boxes, with overlapping text.

--
+AFs-tim+AEA-localhost +AH4AXQAk uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.2-4.fc17.x86+AF8-64 +ACM-1 SMP Wed Oct 17 02:43:21 UTC 2012 x86+AF8-64

public lists.