html/css display on fedora is different than from other os ( windows, ...)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 21 16:39:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 08:43 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> I recently came across something similar where Firefox and Chrome
> rendered the same page differently.  The cause was not the browser but
> the page.

As well as not-so-brilliantly written pages, where authors haven't
really known what they're doing, properly, there are sites with
conditional tests that deliberately give different page content to
different browsers.  They do that in the pages, the stylesheets, and
even the web server.

> If a page does not have a valid <doctype> a browser will fall back to
> a thing called *quirks mode* which is different across browsers.
> (When they say quirks they are not kidding.)

Yeah... ;-/  So called quirks modes being the original way the browsers
behaved, as the browser authors thought they ought to work, plus all
their errors.  As opposed to when they started paying attention to the
HTML/CSS/scripting specifications, to produce standard results.

Some effects are subtle, like a slightly different margin around the
page in one mode versus the other, that's barely noticeable.  To
noticeable, and annoying, differences in every element on the page.

I gave up trying to pander to MSIE's (pronounced misery) foibles, years
ago.  These days, I just write according to HTML specifications, check I
haven't overlooked something stupid in normal browsers, and to hell with
how things look due to any "quirks" introduced by the misery browser.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.