Whatever happened to Wayland?

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 21 20:00:19 UTC 2012

On 10/21/2012 07:06 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:59:26 +0200
> Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>
>> What would be some key benefits of replacing X with Wayland?
>
> Loss of remote display capability? Destruction of compatibility
> for tens of thousands of existing applications? But it is
> shiny and new and written from scratch, so obviously it
> is better.

I would expect you to be able to use X with those tens of thousands of
applications for years to come. The vested interest of the Enterprise
will probably demand that. And if I understand the thread below
correctly then there seems to be remote display capability:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-February/002355.html

Regards,
Patrick