f17 no video signal on nVidia 8800

Alain Roger raf.news at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:52:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 00:02 +0200, Alain Roger wrote:
> > i've just downloaded F17 and i tried to install it on my computer x86
> > having a nVidia 8800 GT video card. after seeing only the logo at boot
> > process, now everything i can see is a black screen :( and the Led of
> > my monitor is blinking so it means no video signal. is there any
> > compatibility issue with f17 and nvidia 8800 ? thank
>
> Sounds awfully like what I've had to deal with:  GRUB running at the
> highest resolution that the graphics card could generate, regardless of
> whether the scan/refresh rates were compatible with my monitor (which it
> wasn't).
>
> I don't know how you can fix that if you can't, at some stage, get to
> see a display.  I was lucky enough that once GRUB had finally booted up
> an OS, the OS did run at a suitable rate, and I could edit the
> configuration to change GRUB's resolution.
>
> In the /etc/default/grub file, I added this line:
>
>   GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
>
> Then ran the "grub2-mkconfig" command to regenerate the config file used
> at boot time.
>
> If it's X, itself, running at the wrong resolution, after GRUB has
> handed over, and if Xorg hadn't been crippled, years ago, you could have
> pressed CTRL ALT + or - to change resolutions on the fly, until
> something worked.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
> Linux 3.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 17 02:43:21 UTC 2012 x86_64
>
> All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point
> trying to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the
> public lists.

Hi Tim,

in fact this problem occurs with Fedora 17, Ubuntu 12.x but not with
Mandriva 2011...strange isn't it ?
so today i can install F17 as i wanted on this computer and i must stay
with this horrible Win7...
previously it was possible to boot on Fedora, ubuntu and later on change
screen resolution, but now it is automatically detected and X use it :(

A.