Howto: 32 bit skype, working with a webcam, on 64 bit Fedora 17

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 22 08:11:31 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko:
+AD4APg I don't think it is very common to see UTF-7.

+AD4 FWIW....   Contained within http://www.imc.org/imcr-010.html
+AD4
+AD4 It should be noted that the Unicode Standard also defines the UTF-7
+AD4 charset, which was intended for Internet mail. However, MIME is quite
+AD4 capable of carrying UTF-8, and UTF-8 is expected to be used in many
+AD4 protocols, not just Internet mail. Fortunately, very few vendors
+AD4 implemented UTF-7, and its use is strongly discouraged in Internet
+AD4 mail.

Discouraged by who?  It's supposedly +ACo-the+ACo answer to email, to stop
allegedly helpful mail services transcoding 8 bit mail on the way
through, just because it thinks 8-bit mail is a bad idea (plenty of
people have wacky views on that, too), whether that 8-bit is UTF-8 or
anything else that's 8-bit text.

My own experiments with pushing mail through various external servers
has shown plenty of annoyingly helpful servers transcoding UTF-8 plain
text into base64 encoded, or even quoted-printable, both of which are a
pain in various ways.  Whereas they left UTF-7 alone.

Anyway, any modern mail software (server or client) which screws up
UTF-7, as in the original responder's reply, is seriously broken.

And I feel similarly for software which foolishly go about transcoding
mail.  If I get a mail in an encoding that the client doesn't
automatically handle, I can opt to try viewing it with a forced
selection of different encoding types.  It's hard to do that if a
transcoder has taken a format and mangled it, instead of just passing it
through.

--
+AFs-tim+AEA-localhost +AH4AXQAk uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.2-4.fc17.x86+AF8-64 +ACM-1 SMP Wed Oct 17 02:43:21 UTC 2012 x86+AF8-64

public lists.