Javascript problem Fedora 16

arelem at bigpond.com arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 22 09:45:40 UTC 2012

From: Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org;
CC: arelem at bigpond.com;
Subject: Re: Javascript problem Fedora 16
Am 22.10.2012 11:13, schrieb Roger:
> I do hope someone can help me here.
> I am learning Ruby on Rails.
> It requires javascript to be installed for both Firefox and Chromium browsers.
>
> Following the instructions at http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_x64rpm_install.xml
> jre installed,
> made link sudo ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
>
> Restarted firefox but it does not find jre.
> I have <Enable Javascript> enabled in preferences.
> Still get Ruby on Rails ExecJS::RuntimeError.
>
> Can someone instruct me in what to do to get jre working on firefox and Chromium in Fedora 16 please.
> I have also installed as per instructions at: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_x64_install.xml This also
> fails, it appears to be only an upgrade
first: JAVA != JAVASCRIPT - REALLY!
why do you not try the openjdk which starting with JDK7 is
the reference-implementation before mangling with third
party software outside the RPMDB and taint your system?
this is not windows where the frist step is download
something manually from the internet
F16: yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk icedtea-web
F17: yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk icedtea-web
however, i do not know how the rpm-install behaves after manual
dealing with symlinks, without after install the packages all
is working out of the box

Thanks Reindl.
I know that java and javascript are not the same, I thought jre was needed.
Did not know about yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk icedtea-web
I googled install javascript fedora16 for every avenue I could think of but openjdk did not appear otherwise I may have remembered it.
Roger