About 'cost' in repo conf?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Oct 22 14:23:37 UTC 2012

Sergio wrote:

>> In the yum.conf manual is:
>> "cost:  relative  cost  of
>> accessing  this repository. Useful for weighing one
>> repo's packages as greater/less than any other. defaults to
>> 1000"
>>
>> At first I thought I could use that to set a repo priority
>> but it doesn't work (I set cost to both >1000 and
>> <1000 and ran 'yum clean all' after any change to check).
>> The latest version of a package is offered regardless of
>> those settings.
>> So that 'cost' setting is only for packages of the same
>> version in different repos?
>>
>> I know there's a priority plugin for yum and I'll use it.
>>
>> Best regards.
>
> I read a little about priorities and I'm using the 'exclude' option instead.
> As for the 'cost' option, maybe if I need to choose between packages of the same version and different repos one day I'll test it again.

The cost option, as you have discovered, is for prioritizing repos which all
have the latest version. I run a local repo for packages I have upgraded on any
machine on site, so it only holds packages I actually use. In that case the cost
option seems to force use of the local repo, assuming it is up-to-date.

Seems to be the right option for what I do.

Before someone asks, I just set the keep flag in yum.conf, then run a script to
move packages to the master local repo, where "createrepo" updates things to
make them available.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>