Upgrade from F16 to F17 and F17 to future F18

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:25:43 UTC 2012

Replied at bottom of post, as per the proper form:

On 10/22/2012 11:10 AM, Alain Roger wrote:
> Hi Temlakos,
>
> you are talking about data like during upgrade they were wipe out....
> should i understand that upgrade to F17 wipe out all users' data ?
> is upgrade to F17 not only upgrade system files ?
>
> A.
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com
> <mailto:temlakos at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/22/2012 10:53 AM, Alain Roger wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     i have an old Fedora 16 installed on a computer and i would like
>>     to know what is the best solution to upgrade it to F17 ?
>>     is there a standard process or a simple and magical button like
>>     "upgrade" ?
>>     if not, is something like that planned in F17 to upgrade to F18 ?
>>
>>     thx.
>>
>>     --
>>     Alain
>>     -----------------------------------------------------------
>>     Windows 7 x64 / Fedora 16 x64
>>     MySQL 5.5.24
>>     Apache 2.4.2
>>     PHP 5.4.3
>>

>     When you put in an F17 live spin or network install disk, it
>     offers you the option to upgrade an existing Fedora installation,
>     so long as it's not too far back. F16 will let you upgrade.
>
>     But you can *also* do a *clean* install, *if* you have thought to
>     partition your disk so that:
>
>     /boot is a separate physical partition, at least 500 MB in size.
>
>     /home is a separate physical or Logical Value partition from /
>     (root) and "swap."
>
>     That way, you can at least keep your data while you clean out the
>     OS and your applications. I had to upgrade from F14. I used a KDE
>     live spin, and then a fast Internet connection to do about
>     300-plus app upgrades.
>
>     Now if you haven't done that, then if you have two machines, you
>     can always transfer your data to one, which will hold it while you
>     clean-install F17 on the other and can then move your data back.
>
>     Or, if you have an on-line backup, you can restore your data from
>     that.
>
>     Temlakos
>
>     --
>

> --
> Alain
> Windows 7 x64 / Fedora 16 x64
> MySQL 5.5.24
> Apache 2.4.2
> PHP 5.4.3
> C# 2005-2008

A clean install includes the option to format the disk. Formatting
destroys all data. And in fact, a clean install /must/ format the root,
swap, and boot directories; else it is not clean. I'm trying to describe
how to save your home directory and its contents. There is where your
data resides. Format that, and you lose your data.

But if you have partitioned your disk as I described it above, you can
avoid formatting the home directory. Thus you can save your data.

Temlakos