Blocked site -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 23 08:02:26 UTC 2012

Tim wrote:
>> Proxying can only speed things up, for you, if you access something
>> that someone else has already accessed before you.  *And* if that
>> data is cacheable.

James Wilkinson:
> In general, true.
>
> It doesn’t sound as though this service is conventional proxying,
> though. It sounds like they’re dynamically rewriting web pages to
> reduce the number of TCP/IP round trips. Since a round trip via a
> satellite takes about half a second, there’s a lot of scope for
> speeding things up.

Even pre-fetching is still dependent on the data being cacheable.  Some
sites just don't work well with any sort of proxying, and some are
deliberately hostile to it.

I have no qualms with opt-in proxying, it can have significant
advantages.  But I don't care for any form of transparent proxying,
because it can be nearly impossible to avoid it when you need to.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 17 02:43:21 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.