Games on Linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 25 12:20:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 12:37 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> Oh, and sound, the weird state of sound for years was a problem too.
> Games are supposed to be fun, too much end user configuration to get
> them working puts people off before you've started.

The few brief years that I put up with Windows, and the many more where
I've observed others, makes me firmly believe that if you want to play
games, you really need to use a games console.  It's built for it, the
games are built for it, there's no being stuffed around by sound and
graphics card drivers, and the whole thing is in one convenient portable
box hooked up to your TV with a larger screen than your computer.

Even on the most prolific OS, Windows, sound and graphics are the two
main problems, and it looks like they always will be.  Then there's the
issue that only the game players with money will have a computer system
with a good enough graphics cards.  The average PC tends to have a
rather average graphics card.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 17 02:43:21 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.