Games on Linux

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:14:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> I don't know any serious games producer who considers Java anything but a
> comedy item.

Oh RLY? I expected that sort of prejudiced comment... that´s why I had
the following link up my sleeve... We were talking mobile...

Web gaming technologies: Angry Birds’ cross-compiled Java
http://www.2ality.com/2011/05/web-game-tech.html

"That is, you write your game in Java and then can cross-compile it to
Desktop Java, a webapp (via Google’s GWT), Android, or Flash. Quite
impressive, even though some platform-specific code is always
necessary. Creator Ray Cromwell gives a few more details:

The game is built on an abstraction (ForPlay) that allows it to use
the optimal path for each browser. If WebGL is present, it uses that
in order to achieve the highest framerates. If not, it falls back to
2d canvas, which is accelerated by the GPU on browsers these days, but
not always guaranteed to be *fully* accelerated.

It is written in Java, developed and debugged as a Java desktop app,
and then cross-compiled at the end step via GWT. Many things in the
native version have been converted to more web friendly data formats,
for example, data that was in XML or LUA format was converted to
JSON."

There´s also http://jmonkeyengine.com/
http://jmonkeyengine.com/engine/

...So now I sit back and grin. ;-)

FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell