systemd shutdown/reboot problems

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sat Oct 27 17:28:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have a home server which runs F17 and for a long time now it just
doesn't reboot or shutdown cleanly. I've had the same issue since it was
running F16 and possibly F15. When the server shuts down, I get spurious
messages about some services failing or a dependency was not met for the
shutdown target, or sometimes a black screen with a line which just says
"Adding Swap target" (really, on a shutdown?). The output seems to vary
every time, sometimes wildy different but the end result is often the
same, having to hit the reset button. How do I about starting to
diagnose these problems with systemd? Given that the system is left in a
state where I can't do anything with it. The usual places such as
/var/log/messages doesn't turn up anything useful. Maybe because syslog
has already been stopped by then.

--
Ian Chapman.