Fedora 17 and laptop IBM T42

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:33:50 UTC 2012

Rafnews wrote:

> On 28.10.2012 15:03, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> Rafnews wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i discovered that i can use fedora 17 on my old laptop IBM T42.
>>> i works great but my wireless adapter doesn't work.
>>>
>>> i found several websites (e.g.:
>>> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml) where some steps are
>>> written how to make it works...however in my case, i have some errors
>>> with make ieee80211-1.2.18.
>>>
>>> here is the error:
>>> /root/ieee80211-1.2.18/ieee80211_module.c:148.5: error: 'struct
>>> net_device" has no member named 'hard_start_xmit'
>>>
>>> is there someone who already had such issue or did this step ?
>>> thx.
>> I also have Fedora 17 running on an old IBM T42 (I've had Fedora running
>> on it since 12 with no problems at all) but I've never had to mess with
>> the wireless adapter. It worked out the box with Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Are you running Gnome or another window manager?

> I'm running the KDE edition as gnome as no purpose for me since gnome 3
> can't run on such poor laptop.

I'm using the fallback option which works surprisingly well. It looks
just like Gnome 2 in fact :-)

It may be that KDE's network interface works differently to Gnome's one
(I tried KDE once but couldn't get on with it so I've never used it) or
it could be something else entirely. My T42 has the standard Intel Pro
100 card & it also recognises a Netgear WG v111v3 dongle without any
need of alteration to get it connected.

Cheers,

  Phil...
--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow