Architectural CAD

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Oct 28 20:33:07 UTC 2012

On 10/28/2012 03:06 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 01:56 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest an architectural CAD package comparable to AutoCAD
>> for use in preparing layered drawings for residential remodeling?
>>
>> --Doc Savage
>>    Fairview Heights, IL
>>

> I use Ribbon Soft Qcad.  There is a free edition but I use the pro
> edition.
>
> http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/qcad

I looked at some of these things, and the free QCad is probably the
nearest to AutoCAAD,
but it's NOT AutoCAD--some of the commands don't work.  And some of the
features
that you might need are not there. (I couldn't find "scale".) It's the
same old problem--
any imitation CAD routine will cause you to have to learn all over
again.  If you have
Windows, there are sources of (quite a bit) lower-priced AutoCAD.  I
won't go into
detail but there are! You just can't call Autodesk for help!  I will
never understand
why some of these ultra-high-priced outfits don't make older editions
available for
a reasonable price. AutoCad could sell the old Light version from 2000
or so for,
say, $150, which is probably not much lower than when it was new, and make a
nice buck out of people who will never buy the latest four-figure
version--or the five-figure
full-blown version.

--doug