Architectural CAD

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Oct 28 20:56:37 UTC 2012

On 10/28/2012 04:33 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 03:06 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> On 10/28/2012 01:56 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>>> Can anyone suggest an architectural CAD package comparable to AutoCAD
>>> for use in preparing layered drawings for residential remodeling?
>>>
>>> --Doc Savage
>>> Fairview Heights, IL
>>>

>> I use Ribbon Soft Qcad. There is a free edition but I use the pro
>> edition.
>>
>> http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/qcad
>>
> I looked at some of these things, and the free QCad is probably the
> nearest to AutoCAAD,
> but it's NOT AutoCAD--some of the commands don't work. And some of the
> features
> that you might need are not there. (I couldn't find "scale".) It's the
> same old problem--
> any imitation CAD routine will cause you to have to learn all over
> again. If you have
> Windows, there are sources of (quite a bit) lower-priced AutoCAD. I
> won't go into
> detail but there are! You just can't call Autodesk for help! I will
> never understand
> why some of these ultra-high-priced outfits don't make older editions
> available for
> a reasonable price. AutoCad could sell the old Light version from 2000
> or so for,
> say, $150, which is probably not much lower than when it was new, and
> make a
> nice buck out of people who will never buy the latest four-figure
> version--or the five-figure
> full-blown version.
>
> --doug

Qcad has scale.  From the help menu:

Menu:
Modify - Scale
Scale:
sz
Command:
scale
Scales entities by a given factor towards a given center. This tool can
create single or multiple copies of existing entities.
Procedure:
After starting the scale tool, the CAD toolbar shows the selection
tools. Use them to select the entities you want to scale.
Click the right arrow button in the CAD toolbar to continue.
Set the center of the scaling with the mouse or enter a coordinate in
the command line.
The scale dialog is displayed (Figure 52). To scale the entities without
keeping the original entities, choose "Delete Original", to copy them
choose "Keep Original". Finally you can create a number of scaled copies
at once, by choosing "Multiple Copies" and entering the number of copies
in the text line below. Note that '9' will create 9 copies and keep the
original - so there will be 10 instances of the entities in the end. The
copies will have the same attributes and be on the same layer as the
original entities. To change that default behavior, you can check "Use
current attributes" or "Use current layer".
Click OK to scale the entities. The selected entities will be deselected
automatically.

The free community edition does not have all the features found in the
Pro edition.  You don't get what you don't pay for.

--
     _
    °v°