Fixing a crashed disk

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 03:59:04 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 07:33 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 27.10.2012 01:29, schrieb Steven Stern:
>> Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 8 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>> Smartctl tells me the problem is at LBA 2014551336 (this is a 2TB disk)
> sounds bad
>
>> Here's the question:  If I just reformat and restore /home from a
>> recent backup, will the disk automatically deal with the sectors
>> pending reallocation?
> REALLY: throw away the disk and do not restore backups to it
>
> be thankful that you got warned instead lsoe the disk
> from one moment to another and replace it

I would have to agree with this as I had the same thing happen to me,
the final result was a completely new disk in the machine....there was
no other alternative for it,...BUT I was able to restore a lot of data /
music / files / folders  / pictures because I was always making backups
of my system on a weekly basis....word to the wise....get ahold of some
external media and use it to hold backups of your system.

EGO II