Fixing a crashed disk

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 17:59:44 UTC 2012

On 10/29/2012 11:30 AM, Dave Ihnat wrote:
>   However, the firmware will
> do remapping of sectors _it_ determines are failing, and the probability is
> that if you are seeing errors consistently, it's because it can't remap.

A sector that is unreadable even after retries CANNOT be remapped until it
is written, and any attempts to read it MUST return an I/O error until that
remapping has occurred.  If the drive were to go ahead and immediately
remap that unreadable sector, what data would you suggest that it return
when the sector is read?  All-zeros with no indication of error is NOT
acceptable.

                 Do NOT delete it.