Newbie setup issues - Hylafax 6.0.6.tar.gz on Fedora 17

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 11:06:10 UTC 2012

This is my first attempt at installing Hylafax. I have managed to install
6.0.6 from the tarball onto a brand new F17 system.

I am wanting to use this as an automated fax receive and forward system so I
haven't looked at the sending side of the system yet.

I'm also new to systemd having being used to old init based systems.  So far I
have two problems.

1) Through googling I have managed to get faxgetty running and can receive
faxes if I first start the system by issuing the command

systemctl start faxgetty-ttyS0.service

However, if I reboot the services doesn't start automatically. The systemd
config file I've copied from the net and changed appropriately is:

[root at stan2 ~]# cat /etc/systemd/system/faxgetty-ttyS0.service
Unit]
Description=FaxGetty Start Modem ttyS0

[Service]
Type=simple
User=root
Group=root
Restart=always
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/ttyS0
RestartSec=30

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[root at stan2 ~]# ll /etc/systemd/system/default.target
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 37 Oct 29
16:07 /etc/systemd/system/default.target -> /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target
[root at stan2 ~]#

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get it to run on startup please.

2) received TIF image is squashed vertically

The resulting TIF file looks correct except that it is squashed vertically, to
about half the height it should be.  I have googled this and have found a
number of results where it says the problem is down to flow control and give
the resulting log entries.  However I do not have any errors in the log file.

Oct 30 09:54:05 stan2 FaxGetty[1108]: ANSWER: FAX CONNECTION
DEVICE '/dev/ttyS0'
Oct 30 09:54:47 stan2 FaxGetty[1108]: RECV FAX (000000004): from 01132792564,
page 1 in 0:00:37, INF, 3.85 line/mm, 1-D MH, 14400 bit/s
Oct 30 09:54:47 stan2 FaxGetty[1108]: RECV FAX (000000004):
recvq/fax000000004.tif from 01132792564, route to <unspecified>, 1 pages in
0:00:42
Oct 30 09:54:47 stan2 FaxGetty[1108]: RECV FAX:
bin/faxrcvd "recvq/fax000000004.tif" "ttyS0" "000000004" ""
Oct 30 09:55:00 stan2 FaxGetty[1108]: MODEM USR U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT Rev.
11.16.63/Configuration Profile...

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers

Gary