What are the limitations of preupgrade

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 30 22:56:46 UTC 2012

Quoting Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>:

> Preupgrade used to be quite limited in capability, and restricted to
> a single version upgrade at a time. I have some systems I would
> rather not upgrade by hand if possible, but they need to go from
> fc13 to fc17, and I'm sure doing it insteps would take more effort
> on my part than a single step and some fixup. I noted that
> preupgrade offers to try to go to to fc17 in a single step, but it's
> not obvious if it's kidding me or itself.
>
> Downtime should be minimized, so it's worth at least considering.
> Any experience?

I've done something like that up my current (so to speak) F14. The
only glitch I had was a small boot sector that wasn't adequate after
about two stages. There's a workaround but it was scary the first time.

Dave

> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>   "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
> --

If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more
vitamins, roughage, milk, olive oil, scooters and laxatives, learning more
languages by iPod, hearing more virtuosos by radio, re-decorating their
houses, refreshing themselves with more non-alcoholic thirst-quenchers,
cooking more new, appetizing dishes, affording themselves that little extra
touch which means so much? Or would the whole desperate whirligig slow
down, and the exhausted public relapse upon plain grub and elbow-grease?

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise