First f17 install -- on an ee701

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Oct 31 21:47:55 UTC 2012

Good to hear from you, Fred.

On 10/31/2012 03:43 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:22:55PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I have 1Gb of memory upgrade, so I have enough memory.  My SSD is only
>> 4Gb, but I have a 16GB SD card.
> I've got F17 installed on my eeepc 901, the model that originally came
> with their brain-dead version of Linux, and therefore has 20 gigs
> (total) of SSD (whereas the Windoze version only has 16). F17
> installs fine on it, without (as far as I can remember, it having
> been several months) any undue problems.
>

>> So the SSD is setup for /boot with 300Mb, swap with 1.6Gb and the rest
>> is /var.  The SD is /
> This machine has a 4 gig (C:) and a 16 gig (D:), and I let the installer
> choose LVM, merging the two SSDs together into a single 20 gig partition.
> I'd prefer to have the 4 and 16 gig units as separate partitions, but
> there's no way a reasonably complete system will fit on a 4 gig drive.
> I tried it in earlier versions (F12/13/14). The 4 gig SSD is considerably
> faster (well, less slow) than the 16, so the system feels more responsive
> when the bulk of the system is installed there. Using the LVM gives you no
> way to ensure it installs system components on the faster part of the
> 20 gig LVM.
>
>> The challenge with the install is the small screen size.  I complained
>> about this and submitted a bug on it with f14 (which was the only
>> install I have made on this ee701).  Apparently the developers did not
> You're aware that you can drag an APP window around on the screen by clicking
> anywhere within it while holding down ALT? This lets you slide the top of
> the window off the screen so you can see the buttons at the bottom.

I do this all the time after I was showed it originally on the ee701
with f14.  But it does not work with the install screens they just don't
move.  I really tried....

>> feel it necessary to do anything about adjusting the dialog sizes to the
>> actual screen size.  For the most part I was able to guess what keys to
>> hit for the buttons cut off below the bottom of the screen.  I could not
>> see how to setup a LVM on the SD, so it is just and ext4 partition.
>> Also I could not go into customizing the packages for the install and
>> although I did provide my local repos so I grabbed all the updates right
>> off, I had to just go with the standard graphic desktop package install....
>>
>> Next I will have to do the gnome 3 customizations.  Though I MIGHT just
>> leave it for the defaults for a while, rather than all the customzations
>> I did for this f16 notebook a year ago.  I actually would like to wait
>> for f18 for upgrading my main notebook; I kind of like skipping releases...
> I tried Gnome 3, but can't really say I like it. I'm currently using
> MATE (which comes from a separate REPO, but I've heard will be officially
> in F18), which acts very much like Gnome 2. (but there seems to be a
> shorter list of panel applets, for example.)

I am a bit stubborn and am working within the Gnome 3 model.  At some
point I am going to have to work with Win8 either on the family machines
or work, and knowing how to get a tablet GUI working on a mouse-based
system will serve me well.

>> Anyway.  so far so good.
> Glad to hear it even CAN be installed on a 701! :)
>
> How's performance?

Decent.  But WHAT is semanage doing?  I move sshd to another port, so I
had to use semanage to enable that port.  It had the CPU pegged for a
number of minutes.

Principally I am going to be using the system for watching educational
(really) mp4 videos with VLC.

> The 901 takes only 5-7 seconds to suspend, and 4-5 to come back to life.
> going to hibernate is slower, but still considerably faster than a
> shudown/reboot cycle.

I will be finding this out soon enough.