First f17 install -- on an ee701

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Oct 31 22:02:46 UTC 2012

> I am a bit stubborn and am working within the Gnome 3 model.  At some
> point I am going to have to work with Win8 either on the family machines
> or work, and knowing how to get a tablet GUI working on a mouse-based
> system will serve me well.

Jerry Pournelle (http://www.jerrypournelle.com) reports that Windows 8
appears designed to take advantage of "hardware you don't have yet."  He
suggests that most people stick with Windows 7 for the time being if
they have the choice.  Not using Windows myself, I don't know, but I
tend to trust his experience in these things.