Default web browser

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 15:30:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 17:00:08 +0200
Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Any ideas?

Strangely enough, I've just been writing up a web page
about how to make xdg-open open the right thing. It
currently appears to go through the file:

/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

And when several apps are listed for the same mime
type, it uses the first one in the list.

I believe (but haven't conducted the experiment
yet) that you can override the default in your
own file:

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

but I'm not sure the exact format of that file yet.
It appears to have (at least) two sections:

[Added Associations]

and

[Default Applications]

Maybe if you just copy the line from mimeinfo.cache
into both sections and re-arrange it so firefox is
first, that will do it?

P.S. Don't bother changing the mimeinfo.cache file
since it gets rebuilt every time apps are changed.