Linux uncrackable...?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:24:53 UTC 2012

On 09/02/2012 08:56 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 09:46 -0700, jdow wrote:
>> My take away from this is that absolutely nothing except a totally
>> disconnected machine in an impenetrable safe is uncrackable, even
>> Fedora machines. Some form of "AV" tool is called for as well as
>> routine checks with the various system check utilities. Even that
>> won't prevent 100% of all attempts from succeeding. But it will help.
> Nothing is 100% bulletproof, there will always be some weakness.  The
> current state of play is to try an make sure that /that/ weakness isn't
> exposed, rather than eliminate all the weaknesses (which isn't really
> possible).

Yet, is it not amazing that with so many capable hackers
in the world poring over the open source software like Linux,
looking for these weakneses have not publicized major
weaknesses that could cripple it - at least I have not been
jolted by such news in a long time.
It seems that the sheer size of the source code all of the free
open source software packages that comprise an installation
would be a powerful enough reason to make most such hackers
to grow quickly weary of such endeavor (to expose weaknesses).

Cheers,

JD