Screen resolution

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Sep 4 12:23:42 UTC 2012

I have what I suspect is a very ignorant question
about the display resolution on my Thinkpad T60 (running Fedora-17/KDE),
which I find too high for my aging eyesight.

When I go to System Settings=>Hardware=>Display and Monitor
on my Thinkpad T60 (Fedora 17/KDE) I am told that the Size is set to
  1680x1050 (Auto)

I see from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard>
that this setting is WSXGA+
(Widescreen Super Extended Graphics Array Plus)
with aspect ration 16:10.

Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?

And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net