f16 error on starting emacs from root as "su -"

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 16:27:01 UTC 2012

Suvayu responded:
>Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure about what I write below.

>Emacs in Fedora is compiled with D-BUS support, when started as above
>the necessary environment variables are missing and Emacs tries to start
>in -nw mode; however since you put it in the background, it gets
>stopped.

>If you were to type `fg' next, you would see Emacs in -nw mode
>in the terminal.

I am embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten about use of 'fg'.
In my many years of running "emacs filename &",
I have not had to use 'fg'.
What usually happens is that a separate emacs window comes up
and leaves my terminal window (where I entered the emacs command)
still free to be used, while also working in the emacs window.
No need for 'fg' at all.
This normally works the same,
whether running as user byers
or as root(su -)
or as root(su).

>When working as root, I would recommend using emacs -nw.  If you really
>want to have a gui, you can try using sudo with tramp.

My brief attempts at "emacs -nw"
show an emacs window that takes over the terminal,
which is not what I want.

But something else has since changed:
as a result of another thread re "f16....xfce"
with much help from Joe Zeff,
I now have xfce working properly,
and also no longer have to use C^alt-f2, startxfce4,
to get graphical display.
The last thing  fixed required "yum install gdm".

Moreover,
now when running
"emacs filename &" as root (su -)
now works perfectly : a new emacs window,
terminal window stll free. No use of 'fg' required.

Running "emacs filename &" as root (su)
still gives that previously reported error msg,
but again still gives me a separate working emacs window.
 No use of 'fg' required.

Thanks for your response

Jack