how to stop yum update -

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:00:34 UTC 2012

Hi Yashar,

A request: please do not top post; it makes it difficult to follow the
conversation and messes up the archives.  Also please take the time to
read through the mailing list guidelines, this is mentioned there.

Now to get on topic,

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 03:25:03PM +0430, Yashar Pezeshki wrote:
> CTRL+C doesn't work for me neither! But you don't need to know the process id
> of yum, "kill `pidof yum`" will automatically replace the process id in front
> of the kill command. And if anything went wrong with your yum database, you can
> simply run "yum clean all" to clean your database, and any other time that you
> try to update your packages, it will be rebuild.

You keep suggesting to kill yum but I think you are misunderstanding
what I meant by package database.  The command "yum clean <sub command>"
only cleans cached data like, metadata, packages etc.  There are two
databases involved here, the rpm database and yum's own database.
Killing yum with kill can corrupt these two.  Although recovering the
rpm database (this is the more crucial one) is not impossible, but it is
somewhat of an inconvenience.  However I do not know of any way to
recover yum's own database.

So please, think twice, thrice and many more times before you kill a
running yum process with kill.  It should be the very last resort in
your toolbox, specially when repeated Ctrl+c is available.

And as in this case, when Ctrl+c is not behaving as it should.  It could
just be a bug.  The suggested course of action would then be to wait for
it to fail and die itself, turn of automatic update checking and report
a bug report.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu