how to stop yum update -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Sep 5 13:04:09 UTC 2012

On 05/09/12 08:00, Suvayu Ali responds:
> Hi Yashar,
>
> A request: please do not top post; it makes it difficult to follow the
> conversation and messes up the archives.  Also please take the time to
> read through the mailing list guidelines, this is mentioned there.
>
> Now to get on topic,
>
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 03:25:03PM +0430, Yashar Pezeshki wrote:
>> CTRL+C doesn't work for me neither! But you don't need to know the process id
>> of yum, "kill `pidof yum`" will automatically replace the process id in front
>> of the kill command. And if anything went wrong with your yum database, you can
>> simply run "yum clean all" to clean your database, and any other time that you
>> try to update your packages, it will be rebuild.
>>
> You keep suggesting to kill yum but I think you are misunderstanding
> what I meant by package database.  The command "yum clean <sub command>"
> only cleans cached data like, metadata, packages etc.  There are two
> databases involved here, the rpm database and yum's own database.
> Killing yum with kill can corrupt these two.  Although recovering the
> rpm database (this is the more crucial one) is not impossible, but it is
> somewhat of an inconvenience.  However I do not know of any way to
> recover yum's own database.
>
> So please, think twice, thrice and many more times before you kill a
> running yum process with kill.  It should be the very last resort in
> your toolbox, specially when repeated Ctrl+c is available.
>
> And as in this case, when Ctrl+c is not behaving as it should.  It could
> just be a bug.  The suggested course of action would then be to wait for
> it to fail and die itself, turn of automatic update checking and report
> a bug report.
>
> Hope this helps.

    Ok, after many CTRL+c's I finally got through to it! It's apparently
    a matter of being patient? I was getting continuous screenfuls of
    these "Trying other mirror" messages. Normally yum update is
    uneventful and just works. This may be related to another problem I
    am seeing.

        Trying other mirror.
        http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
        [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
        ^Chttp://less.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
        [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
        http://less.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz
        Trying other mirror.
        ^C^Cftp://ftp.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
        [Errno 12] Timeout on
        ftp://ftp.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
        (28, '')
        Trying other mirror.
        ^Chttp://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/fedora/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
        [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
        http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/fedora/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz
        Trying other mirror.
        ^C

        Exiting on user cancel

    A few days ago there was discussion about the Euro symbol. I tried
    changing to the US International keyboard. That worked as advertised
    but I have not been able to restore the simple US keyboard since. It
    boots with the odd symbols, when I go to admin-settings it shows the
    normal US keyboard set but I am getting accented "s," "U" umlaut,
    have to press ALT-GR to get an apostrophe, all very inconvenient
    until I tell it once more to select the US keyboard, then it works.

    Related to yum update problem? I dunno, but it's a suspicious
    coincidence.

    Bob

.

--