sylpheed updates on Fedora

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Sep 6 13:16:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 12:00:49 +0200 Michael Schwendt
<mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:00:52 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been wondering about the lack of updates for sylpheed on Fedora.
> > Neither the stable 3.2 nor the new develomental 3.3.1 has been provided:
> > I looked up Bugzilla requests but they seem not to have been fulfilled.
> > Is sylpheed on the road to becoming an orphan in Fefora?
>
> A package in the Fedora collection is maintained by at least one person.
> It can happen that this person leaves without notice. It can also happen
> that there are co-maintainers, but the multiple maintainers don't
> communicate with eachother. And it can happen that the package "owner"
> owns packages without being active, and co-maintainers expect the owner to
> be more active or drop the package and not pretend that packages are
> being maintained.
>
>   http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/sylpheed
>    -> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/843901
>      -> sylpheed-3.3.0beta1 is available
>      -> Reported: 2012-07-27 11:44 EDT by Upstream Release Monitoring
>
> --

Since I don't see how one can compel an owner to inform all when he
leaves (unless done voluntarily), perhaps one way out could be to have
co-maintainers be informed if BZ requests have not been acted (not
necessarily resolved) on for more than a month (pick a reasonable
timeframe)? At the same time, requests could go out for more
co-maintainer (volunteers) if the number of co-maintainers drops
precipitously low?

Best,
Ranjan