Fedora 17 does not see Atheros AR8161L ethernet device on HP h8-1320t

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Sep 6 17:11:51 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 07:28 AM, Stowell Davison uttered this comment:

> I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t.  The machine
> has an on-board ethernet port (RJ-45).  According to the machine's spec
> sheet, that is device is an "Atheros AR8161L".

Atheros stuff is normally wi-fi, not wired. I'm not saying it isn't the
hardwire port but it wouldn't be common.

> Fedora does not see that interface device at all.  Dmesg and
> /var/log/messages contain no mention of "Atheros AR8161L" or any useful
> substring thereof.  There are no *eth0* files in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

In F17, unless you did an upgrade from a previous release and told udev
to keep the old name, the port will be named something based on the bus
and device IDs, like "p4p1" or "em1" or something. Try "ifconfig -a" as
the root user to see if the device is actually showing up.