USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

nomnex nomnex at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 05:38:08 UTC 2012

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:08:06 +0800
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/07/2012 12:42 PM, nomnex wrote:
> > Fedora 15 XFCE (the file manager is Thunar). I use an external USB
> > HD (formatted Ext4, same as my system) to backup my system. The
> > drive auto-mounts when I turn the notebook on.
> >
> > I violently pulled the USB cable by accident. Both the drive and the
> > external HD were transferring data when it happened.
> >
> > I turned off both devices, I checked the USB cable and the USB
> > sockets. After re-booting, the external drive starts, but it does
> > appears anymore in my file manager. I tried with a second portable
> > USB HD (also formatted Ext4). The lead turns green, but it does not
> > auto-mount either.
> >
> > I tried with a USB stick (Fat32). I can see this drive in the file
> > manager.
> >
> > How do I troubleshoot that?
> >

> unplug the drive
> tailf /var/log/messages
> plug-in the drive

Thank you,

Log attached.

I can see the portable USB HD (Ext4) in the file manager.

The USB drive I pulled the USB cable out is a 1T Backup driver. It
contains everything...

I pug the drive in another notebook, running the same OS. The drive does
not appear.

Can pulling out a USB cable damage a partition table. I am worry now.

--
nomnex <nomnex at gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex