Fedora 17 does not see Atheros AR8161L ethernet device on HP h8-1320t

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:53:06 UTC 2012

On 7 September 2012 02:08, Stowell Davison <swdavison at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/06/2012 07:28 AM, Stowell Davison uttered this comment:
>>>

>>> I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t.  The machine
>>> has an on-board ethernet port (RJ-45).  According to the machine's spec
>>> sheet, that is device is an "Atheros AR8161L".
>>

>> Atheros stuff is normally wi-fi, not wired. I'm not saying it isn't the
>> hardwire port but it wouldn't be common.
>

> There is also a wifi port; and that seems to be working -- If I click the
> connection icon I see a list of the various available wifi hotspots in the
> neighborhood.  But I think the AR8161L is a wired device (and there is
> _some_ wired device there -- I mean, there's an RJ-45 jack through which
> Windows was getting to the internet).  The entry on the motherboard spec
> sheet says:
>  Network
> LAN: 1000-Base-T
>     Interface: Integrated into motherboard
>     Technology: Atheros AR8161L
>     Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mb/s
>     Transmission standards: 1000-Base-T Ethernet

According to http://www.jfdesignnet.com/?p=2133 it will show up in
lspci as something like this:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Device 1091 (rev 10)
And really is an ethernet controller.
See my other mail to the list for further suggestions on getting it working.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk