how to make thunderbird use utf-8?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 8 11:17:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 14:10 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
+AD4 Whenever I send an email using Thunderbird the following header is
+AD4 always included:
+AD4
+AD4 Content-Type: text/plain+ADs charset+AD0-ISO-8859-1+ADs format+AD0-flowed
+AD4
+AD4 How do I change it to charset+AD0-UTF-8?

It may well be that unless you write a post that uses UTF-8 encoding,
Thunderbird will use the lowest common denominator.  Lots of mail
clients behave that way.

e.g.  No matter what charset you set as your preferred default, if your
message is contained within the US-ASCII repertoire, then it'll be sent
as US-ASCII.  And if you include some characters beyond it, it may use
an intermediate charset, if using UTF-8 isn't essential.

+AD4 I think that header causes Latin-Extended to show up as blobs with a ?
+AD4 inside+ADs here's one: +AKI  Should be a US cent sign.

I saw a cent sign.

The other thing to consider is how you're testing it.  Are you looking
at the saved sent posts, or at a mail that has gone out through a server
and come back again?  A server may transcode a message as it goes
through it.

--
+AFs-tim+AEA-localhost +AH4AXQAk uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.