Accessing fedora on LAN by hostname

Martin Airs martin at airs.me.uk
Sat Sep 8 14:00:36 UTC 2012

On Saturday 08 Sep 2012 08:34:10 Lukáš Šembera wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> on my home LAN network, there are 2 fedora computers. The problem is that
> I'm unable to access one from the another by hostname. So, for example,
> when I'm mounting a NFS share, I've to use the IP address. The same issue
> is with ping, ssh, etc. What do I need to configure to make resolving by
> hostname on LAN work? Thank you very much.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Lukáš Šembera

The avahi-daemon should provide local network name resolution, for example my
pc is desktop.localdomain and my laptop is laptop.localdomain, on each I can
simply ping desktop.local or laptop.local

basically its just the first part followed by .local

my hostname could be foo.example and I would ping foo.local from another
machine on my network

hope that helps

Martin