Upgrading from F16 to F17 fails

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Sep 8 18:21:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:05:00 -0600,
   JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

>I will wait for fc18 in the hopes it will do a better job of
>upgrading from 16 to 18.
>The yum route, due to the time it takes to download everything, and
>the tenuous
>nature of the electric service and the network provider's
>"instability", seems to
>cause me other issues.

16 to 18 is still going to have the file system layout change. It is likely
to go even less smooth doing a two release jump instead of just one.

You can use the DVD is a repo when doing a yum upgrade and save on the
downloading.

If you don't have a lot of custom config, you will probably be better off
doing a fresh install (after backing up /home) than an update.