Fedora NTFS-3G happily writes files with invalid chars in filename?

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:14:17 UTC 2012

On 09/01/2012 10:41 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM, John Wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Actually, '?' is not "an invalid character" in a Linux filename. Only "/"
>> and the NULL character (0) are invalid in filenames.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
> Well, it´d be akin to writing FAT with filenames that later can´t be
> read from other OSs.
>
> I mean... if you write on a foreign filesystem, it´d be nice to
> enforce the restrictions of the OS where that filesystem originated.
> One of the reasons people format drives with NTFS on Linux is
> obviously for data interchange with
> Windows machines...
>
> At least a "strict compliance" mode should be offered, with the same
> filename limtis as in windows and a "linux only" mode in any case
> without ´em.
>
> Just my $0.02 of course...
> FC
That's actually a good idea! It would actually benefit both communities
if there was a standardization script let's say.....or an app that would
allow you to name things whatever you wanted to in Linux but then would
"translate" that into something that Windows could understand......but I
guess there's not really much of a demand for something like that since
either camp are set in their ways?...LoL!