Clams.....

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 02:45:20 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 10:14 PM, jdow wrote:
> Um, yes, edit the configuration file. I generally speaking took the
> default
> example configuration. These are the first few lines for MY machine which
> is running Scientific Linux 6.3 which is a rebuild of redHat RHEL 6.3.
>
> ===8<---
> ##
> ## Example config file for freshclam
> ## Please read the freshclam.conf(5) manual before editing this file.
> ##
>

> # Comment or remove the line below.
> #Example
>
> # Path to the database directory.
> # WARNING: It must match clamd.conf's directive!
> # Default: hardcoded (depends on installation options)
> DatabaseDirectory /var/clamav
> ===8<---
>
> This demonstrates one of the problems Linux generically suffers in the
> Desktop world. It demands too much knowledge of the internal parts
> of the operating system.
>
> {^_^}
>
> On 2012/09/08 18:49, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> So I've gone ahead and taken some recommendations of others here, but
>> here's
>> what I get when I try to update my Clam virus definitions files...
>>

>> ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
>> ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf
>>
>> Is there something I'm missing here?.....shouldn't the application /
>> program I
>> just downloaded be the latest version? The GUI displays that the
>> definitions are
>> "Out Of Date" but when I click on the "Check For Updates" option it
>> goes through
>> the motions and tells me they're still outdated. Is there some kind
>> of fix for
>> this?...
>>
>> Fedora 17
>> Gateway T6321 Laptop
>> 3GB Memory
>> 160 GB HDD
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> EGO II
I finally installed nano....but it's still a no-go. Even after typing
the command lines you've given, after I reach the "/etc" directory
nothing happens....there's nothing to edit....nothing opens up. it's
just the prompt again with the flashing cursor.....I guess I'll just
have to wait until Clam "grows up" a little more and learns how to
install itself with a little more ease-of-use.....for the
"non-technical" users out there.....(sigh!) Oh well thanks for all the
tips and tricks y'all!!

EGO II