Clams.....

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Sep 9 02:57:26 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 10:37 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 10:07 PM, Doug wrote:
>> On 09/08/2012 09:49 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>>> So I've gone ahead and taken some recommendations of others here,
>>> but here's what I get when I try to update my Clam virus definitions
>>> files...
>>>

>>> ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
>>> ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf
>>>
>>> Is there something I'm missing here?.....shouldn't the application /
>>> program I just downloaded be the latest version? The GUI displays
>>> that the definitions are "Out Of Date" but when I click on the
>>> "Check For Updates" option it goes through the motions and tells me
>>> they're still outdated. Is there some kind of fix for this?...
>>>
>>> Fedora 17
>>> Gateway T6321 Laptop
>>> 3GB Memory
>>> 160 GB HDD
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> EGO II
>> Sorry about that!  Just one time, you have to edit freshclam.conf.
>> And it's a snap. Open a terminal, become root. (Not sure if that's
>> necessary, but if it is, you've done that.) Type cd /etc (return) *
>> Type nano freshclam.conf  (return). Right at the top, it tells you to
>> comment out the line below.  Insert a # sign in front of the word
>> Example.  Type Control-X, then Y.
>> (If you don't have nano, you probably have pico, which works about
>> the same.)
>> * If your distro allows you to use sudo, then you can do cd /etc sudo
>> nano freshclam.conf    and go on from there.
>> Still pretty simple.
>>
>> --doug
>>
> Interestingly enough, I don't have "nano" OR "pico"....when I try
> either of those I get a "Command not found" message.....hmmm.....
>

> EGO II
OK, you should be able to do this from a GUI editor.  I opened KWrite
and made my way to freshclam.conf.  I'm not sure how you would proceed
if you need to be root to edit the file.
It just never occurred to me that you could edit a bash file using a GUI
editor.  Someone will surely step in and tell me how to do it if you
need to have root permission to edit the file.
In the meantime, try it without root, and see if it works.  Just put
that # in front of Example on the eighth (?) line and save the file.
(You may not have KWrite--it's a KDE file--but there
is certainly some simple editor available on your distro.)

--doug